Friday, June 28, 2013

Christians vs. Batman

Alright, so here's the disclaimer: I didn't get much sleep, I'm getting over a cold, and I'm leaving for Haiti in t-minus 11 hours and 47 minutes . If this all comes out in "Charlie Brown's Teacher," you'll understand why .

All I wanted to get at , was something I found kind of amusing today . Today I worked [shocker, I know .] at the lovely produce stand at Green Dragon . Six-thirty AM until two PM . Not too bad . I ran some baskets back to their place, and as I was coming back, I passed a man with a very loud orange t-shirt that declared, "This is what a Christian looks like," and a tattoo that said, "For My Sin ." I made no judgments on the man; he seemed like a normal person walking . The worst fault I could have found was that he wasn't smiling; but hey, I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't smile every moment of His life . While walking back, I was just pondering how big of a commitment it is to wear a shirt like that, and I wondered if he ever realized it . To boldly proclaim that you are a Christian, means that every action you show will reflect Christ, and Christianity . Hmm .

  After I got back to my cash register, I saw a box of celery that I needed to take back to the counter to trim (yayyy) . My friend Emily was working the cash register, with a good sized line there, and I noticed a couple that usually comes in every week . Focusing my attention back on the celery box, I picked it up, but then realized that I couldn't move it back to the counter because a large stack of empty boxes were in the way (thanks, guys . ). I sighed, put the box down, and walked behind the counter without it .
   I knew I needed to trim it, but I didn't know the best way to get the box back there . Looking around, I sighed again . Just then, the man who regularly comes in picked up the box and said, "Here . I'll pass it to you, over the empty boxes ." I had already been so stressed, as it was my last hour of work, and I was ready to be done, so I said, "Thank you" took the box, and set it on the counter . He got back in line with his wife .
  As I began trimming the celery, I started pondering over his actions . It wasn't just the simple act of helping me . It was that he noticed a need . And then he chose to act on it . My mind flashed back to the man wearing the "Christian" t-shirt . I then glanced at this man's tee . It had Batman on it . I had to keep myself from laughing at the irony...
  We made eye contact, and I smiled more personally this time and mouthed, "Thank you" again , with which he responded with a smile .


What's the point of this story? I don't know . Just remember that what you do reflects what you identify yourself with .

...Team Batman .


1 comment:

  1. I love this. It's so true that actions speak louder than words.

    ReplyDelete